Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Lesson of Fashion

I'm by far no expert in fashion, fashion is a hobby. You can see some of my fun things on Pinterest. I am not going to lie though, I would love to have a side business of styling people, helping them edit their closets, and taking the clothes they already have and putting together great outfits. Most people don't realize the potential that they already have in their closets. It's just getting their brain out of the box of solids.

I would like to share some things I've learned over the years. Some are from my own mistakes.

Things you should save and spend the money on:
1. Purses
2. Shoes
3. A good pair of jeans

Things you should NOT spend much money on:
1. Basics like tank tops
2.Things that are trendy that year
3. Costume jewelry

I may shop a lot, but the only thing I will consider paying full price for is designer purse, a good pair of shoes, and jeans. Most everything I purchase is on sale, with the exception of things I get from H&M and Forever 21, mainly because everything is so cheap already and they never really put anything on sale.

The reason for spending money on purses and shoes is that not matter what's going on in your life, they will FIT! You know those days where you want to wear your fat pants! I have two designer purses in my closet now, and I saved for them. The satisfaction of spending that kind of money is that I will have it forever, and I will be able to pass it on to my daughter (if I have one) or grand daughter. They really are an investment if you don't buy trendy designer pieces, but stick to classic styles.

Don't spend much money on shirts. Reason...they don't take the beating of a lot of wear well. I want to shake those ladies that just because they can spend $100 on a cotton shirt, they do. It's a waste of money....go to Forever 21 and find something similar for less than $20!

When it comes to costume jewelry...I LOVE!! My two favorite places to find great inexpensive (I mean necklaces for $10) items is Forever 21 and H&M. They really do have some good stuff. I have one necklace that I spent less than $10 on from F21 back in 2007...I get the most complements on it than I do anything else. There is this necklace that I have been swooning over from J Crew, their bubble necklace, I have a hard time imaging myself spending $150 on it. So I rediscovered eBay. If you click on the ebay link, it'll take you to the jcrew bubble necklace search. Happy Shopping! I bought the red one for $19.99 and free shipping. Why spend $150 on a trendy necklace!! If there is something you want and it's out of your price range...search online for it...you'll find it and at a great savings.

Happy Shopping! If you ever have any questions, let me know. Tweet me - @KellyLHumlan I offer free advice. :)

No comments: