Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sleeping Chatty Cathy

"Now I see why everyone is starting to play baseball!"

Does that sentence make sense? It may if you are watching a baseball game, or in a discussion about baseball, but if you wake up saying that, it doesn't make much sense.

That was my Tuesday night! I am a repeat (and apparently funny) repeat offender at being chatty in my sleep. It's more loud statements that eventually wake me up. I will share some of the better ones.....

"Now I see why everyone is starting to play baseball"

I am told, that I wake up saying the above statement. When my boyfriend, not really understanding what I just said, asks, "What?". I repeat it, "Now I see why everyone is starting to play baseball". Mike still not really understanding what I said asks again, "What?" I repeat it again. I apparently said "Now I see why everyone is starting to play baseball" 4 times.

I vaguely remember any of this. All I know is what he told me when I finally came to from all the "baseball" talk. I have no clue what I was dreaming!

"Snakes in the house"

While visiting my sister and brother in-law down in Georgia. They had shown me the GON (Georgia Outdoor News) magazine, in which there was a story and picture of a 6 ft rattlesnake some guy had seen. Also that weekend, I had come upon a tiny baby snake in the garage, in which was a all out search and kill mission of me and my BIL.

During the night, I sit straight up in the bed, try to push the covers off and get out of the bed at the same time, say "Nuh uh, no snakes in the house". Of course this wakes Mike up, and it takes him a few seconds to get me to come to.

"Where is he?"

This time I starting saying out loud, "Where is he, where did he go?" several times. Mike gets me to come to, and he asked, who is he, being awake, but still groggy, and straight faced said, "The flying squirrel." I had been dreaming about a squirrel and couldn't find him.

"What? What? What?" (this one is slightly embarrassing)

I not only did I wake up Mike, but also woke myself up with a toot (the nice was of saying fart). I sit up and starting asking, "What? What? What?" as I had woken up in a panic. I had no clue that I tooted, but apparently it was forceful enough to wake us both up, and then me question what the hell just happened.


I did a little sleep talk research....

What is sleep talking?

Sleep talking, or somniloquy, is the act of speaking during sleep. It's a type of parasomnia -- an abnormal behavior that takes place during sleep. It's a very common occurrence and is not usually considered a medical problem.

The nighttime chatter may be harmless, or it could be graphic, even R rated. Sometimes, listeners find the content offensive or vulgar. Sleep talkers normally speak for no more than 30 seconds per episode, but some people sleep talk many times during a night.

The late-night diatribes may be exceptionally eloquent, or the words may be mumbled and hard to decipher. Sleep talking may involve simple sounds or long, involved speeches. Sleep talkers usually seem to be talking to themselves. But sometimes, they appear to carry on conversations with others. They may whisper, or they might shout. If you share a bedroom with someone who talks in his or her sleep, you might not be getting enough shut-eye.


Poor Mike...he "might not be getting enough shut-eye."

Here is the Dog version of me...






No comments: